Today’s featured inspection is a 1960’s home in Burnaby, BC.
The house had a rear deck, which had been closed in and turned into a bedroom underneath. However, inspection of the exterior revealed some potentially catastrophic drainage issues:
The downspout had been disconnected, the deck wall was below the soil level, and the soil at the side of the home sloped heavily toward the wall.
Going inside, we can see the results of the moisture ingress:
This house had been vacant for over a year, and in that time, the room had never been opened. All the windows were closed, everything remained wet, and the mold grew unchecked.
Toxic Black Mold, also known by its scientific name, Stachybotrys, is a type of mold that releases Mycotoxins (a poisonous compound) into the air when it breeds.
This room will need to be demolished and rebuilt.
NOTE: We offer certified Mold Testing and Inspections – if you have a mold issue in a home, please contact us today – 604 395-2795
Author David Fairbairn is a certified, licensed home inspector serving Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. He has been featured in the media and has contributed to "24" Newspaper, and Global TV. He has spent years working with residential and commercial building projects, and holds a Power Engineering License in BC. Why not give him a call for your next Home Inspection? Call 604 395-2795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org today!